Hair transplantation is a surgical procedure which redistribute hair follicles out of densely placed grafts, known as the’donor site’, to a bald or balding region of the human body called the’recipient area’. The technique is mostly utilized as a treatment for male pattern hair loss . In this minimally invasive procedure, grafts including hair follicles which are genetically resistant to balding (such as the back area of the scalp ) are transplanted to the bald scalp. Hair transplantation may also be employed to revive lashes , eyebrows, hair thinning hair, chest hair, pubic hair and also to fill scars brought on by surgery or accidents like face-lifts and preceding hair transplants.
- Hairline designing forms an important part of hair transplant. The surgeon carefully designs the hairline where the grafts will be placed.
- Next the donor area hair is trimmed and patient is shifted to OT.
- Under Aseptic conditions , Local Anaesthesia is given to the donor area and depending on the procedure the grafts are extracted.
- Local anaesthesia is also given to the recipient area and spaces/incisions are made to make place for graft introduction.
- The last step involves placing the grafts in the recipient area.
TYPES OF HAIR TRANSPLANT PROCEDURES-
PREOPERATIVE INSTRUCTIONS –
- Do not take any Aspirin or other anti-inflammatory medications 7-14 days prior to your procedure. Many medications such as Advil, Alka-Seltzer, Ibuprofen, etc., should be avoided. If you are unsure, ask the doctor.
- Do not take tricyclic antidepressants, blood thinners such as heparin, niacin, beta-blockers, and MAO inhibitors for one week prior to your procedure. PLEASE LET US KNOW IF YOU ARE CURRENTLY TAKING ANY OF THESE MEDICATIONS.
- If you have ANY medical conditions, please notify immediately! Medical conditions like High blood pressure, heart conditions, diabetes, blood disorders, Hepatitis, Asthma, Epilepsy, Liver problems, or any condition that you are under medication for.
- The morning of your procedure please take a bath or shower and wash your hair thoroughly using regular shampoo. After shampoo, rinse thoroughly and use a clean towel to dry your hair. Do not apply sprays, serums or gels to your hair. If you wear a hair unit or hair system, please make sure it is removed prior to your shower.
- Eat breakfast the morning of your procedure. If you are scheduled for surgery in the afternoon have a proper lunch before you arrive.
- Do not smoke any tobacco products at least 24 hours prior to your procedure as smoking will slow down healing and increase the chances of wound infection and scarring.
- Do not drink any alcohol at least 2 days prior to your procedure. In addition, do not drink coffee or any other caffeinated beverages before your procedure.
- Medicine- post transplant a course of antibiotics is given. The patient is advised to take the medicines to avoid post operative infection. Here at SAREEN’s we give the following medicines as a part of postoperative procedure- – T. cefuroxime 500 mg + clavulanic acid 125 mg BD – T. tinidazole 300 mg BD – T. prednisolone 10 mg BD for 2 days then OD for 1 day – T. ranitidine BD – Vitamin B complex BD The regime is given for 5 days.
- No smoking or alcohol- at least for 48 hours. Alcohol may thin the blood and cause bleeding.smoking hampers the healing process and may reduce graft uptake.
- Advise wearing protection on the head in rain or sunlight for 3-4 weeks after transplant.
- Avoid sleeping on the stomach. 6. limit strenuous activity for 2 weeks.
- Swelling is normal in the forehead area. Slight swelling and discoloration in the facial area of cheeks can occur. The use of cold compression can be advised for the swelling. Also oozing from the recipient or donor area after transplant is normal.
- Scabs form and eventually fall out in the next few weeks. Try not to panic if hair falls with the scab as this is just the original hair that was transplanted falling out and the root underneath is intact and will push the new hair in approximately 3 months.
- Advice washing hair with a mild or baby shampoo 2 days after surgery till 7th-day postop. No rubbing is allowed till then and after 7th day only the patient can shampoo normally.
- No coloring or cutting is advised for at least 4 weeks after surgery.
- The following regime is adviced to the patient to be used for the next 3 months – – Amexidil solution to be applied in the morning – Bioexidil serum in the evening – T. finasteride 1 mg at night – Biotin capsules once a day.