What is Hair Transplant?
Hair transplant is a surgical procedure which redistribute hair follicles out of densely placed grafts, known as the’donor site’, to a bald or balding region of the human body called the’recipient area’. The technique is mostly utilized as a treatment for male pattern hair loss . In this minimally invasive procedure, grafts including hair follicles which are genetically resistant to balding (such as the back area of the scalp ) are transplanted to the bald scalp. Hair transplantation may also be employed to revive lashes , eyebrows, hair thinning hair, chest hair, pubic hair and also to fill scars brought on by surgery or accidents like face-lifts and preceding hair transplants.
- Hairline designing forms an important part of hair transplant. The surgeon carefully designs the hairline where the grafts will be placed.
- Next the donor area hair is trimmed and patient is shifted to OT.
- Under Aseptic conditions , Local Anaesthesia is given to the donor area and depending on the procedure the grafts are extracted.
- Local anaesthesia is also given to the recipient area and spaces/incisions are made to make place for graft introduction.
- The last step involves placing the grafts in the recipient area.
The different hair transplant procedures are –